Mr. Tom Tankersley is a power plant professional with 36+ years of diversified technical and managerial experience in the areas of training, radiological protection, regulatory affairs, nuclear oversight/quality assurance, and operations. Interfaced with nuclear and financial regulators in addition to other industry oversight organizations; experienced in training development and analysis, organizational development, performance assessment, policy and procedure development, due diligence and acquisitions, auditing, and site-to-fleet transition. Demonstrates strong communication skills and multi-discipline team integration.
- 2012-Present - Senior Consultant, NWI Consulting, LLC, Knoxville, TN.
- 1990-2012 - Entergy Corp., New Orleans, LA.
- 2012 - Manager, Nuclear Oversight – Grand Gulf Nuclear Station. Responsible for the station nuclear oversight activities, inclusive of regulatory based and performance based monitoring/assessment programs and maintenance quality verification.
- 2007-2012 - Director, Nuclear Oversight – Entergy Nuclear Fleet, Jackson, MS. Fleet Director for the Quality Assurance/Nuclear Oversight organization. Responsible for the nuclear oversight activities, inclusive of regulatory based audits, maintenance quality verification, and performance based monitoring/assessment, throughout the Entergy Nuclear fleet.
- 2007-2009 - Manager, Quality Assurance – River Bend Station. Responsible for the station nuclear oversight activities, inclusive of regulatory based and performance based monitoring/assessment programs and maintenance quality verification.
- 2006 - 2007 - Manager, Training – Grand Gulf Nuclear Station. Responsibilities included managing the training staff and overseeing the quality and effectiveness of accredited and non-accredited training programs while building technologically advanced processes and training venues to enhance learning and improve worker performance.
- 2005-2006 - Manager, Licensing – Waterford 3. Responsible for the regulatory activities, interaction, and ongoing communications with the NRC; management of the regulatory affairs staff and engineers, coordination of licensing activities with fleet leadership on common issues, and maintenance of licensing basis documents.
- 2004-2006 - Sr. Evaluator (Loanee) – INPO. Conducted plant evaluations, ALARA assistance, mentoring as a Sr. RP evaluator (INPO).
- 2001-2004 - Manager, Training – Waterford 3. Responsibilities included managing the training staff and overseeing the quality and effectiveness of accredited and non-accredited training programs while building technologically advanced processes and training venues to enhance learning and improve worker performance.
- 1998-2001 - Sr. Project Manager – Entergy Nuclear Corporate Office. Served as the corporate functional area manager (CFAM) for coordinating the System Engineering Managers, Reactor Engineering Superintendents, and Maintenance Managers Peer Groups as well as conducting due diligence for new nuclear acquisitions.
- 1997-1998 - Sr. Oversight Specialist – Grand Gulf. Corporate Assessments team leader, leading functional area (discipline-focused) as well as comprehensive station evaluations.
- 1996-1997 - Assistant to the General Manager, Plant Operations – Grand Gulf. Chaired the on-site safety review committee and coordinated activities for the off-site safety review committee (and all subcommittees). Maintained on-going interface with external members to ensure the committee members were continuously engaged with the station. Developed and led the station preparation plan for the INPO plant evaluation.
- 1991-1996 - Manager, Radiation Protection, Grand Gulf. Responsible for overall implementation of the radiological and industrial safety programs; including all associated professional and hourly personnel, programs, and procedures.
- 1990-1991 - Supervisor, Nuclear Technical Training, Grand Gulf. Supervised the training instructors and administration of the technical training programs.
- 1988-1990 - Instructor, Operations Training, Grand Gulf. Instructor for the Licensed Operator initial and requalification programs.
- 1983-1988 - Supervisor, Health Physics, Grand Gulf. First-line supervision of field and administrative radiation protection personnel.
- 1982-1983 - Instructor, Nuclear Technical Training, Grand Gulf. Instructor for the GET, RP, EP, and Chemistry programs.
Academic Credentials and Qualifications
- B.S., Applied Science & Technology/Nuclear Engineering (Th. Edison State College, Trenton, N.J.), 1991
- Nuclear Quality Management Leadership (NQML) industry group Vice-Chair, Steering Committee member, Nuclear Oversight Conference Chair (2010-2012).
- Corrective Action Program/Causal Analysis – Kepner-Tregoe & Entergy qualified for causal analysis
- Led site-level investigations into recurrent electrical distribution faults, multiple RP, Training, and NOS/QA issues
- Led fleet-level investigations into system/major component failures, grid reliability interface problems, maintenance ownership performance gaps, QC implementation failures
- Led oversight team for CAP implementation failures and recovery of the CAP program at a PN-14 station
- Reactor Operator Licenses, Missouri University Research Reactor (1982), and Grand Gulf Nuclear Station (1987)
- Senior Reactor Operator Certification, Grand Gulf Nuclear Station (1987)
- SAT/Instructor qualified for Health Physics & Operations (classroom and simulator)
- U.S. Navy Nuclear Program
- Mechanical Operator/(Leading) Engineering Laboratory Technician
- Engine Room Supervisor
- New construction (AS-40) LELT/system startup supervisor