Mr. Bill Stairs is a senior management professional with over thirty years plus of experience in the nuclear power generation and construction industry. Bill is a multi-tasked leader with excellent analytical, organizational and communication skills with extensive experience in engineering, construction and project management. He provides cohesive structure to an organization with well thought out plans that optimize resources to manage the development of major engineering, construction and refueling outages programs while focusing on safety, quality and reliability of work activities.
- 2012-Present - Senior Consultant, NWI Consulting, LLC, Knoxville, TN.
- 1999-2012 - Contract Assignments, Various
- 2011-2012 - BCP Engineering & Consultants, Senior Consultant. Waterford 3 Nuclear Plants Steam Generator and Reactor Head Replacement Projects. Provided engineering management for Entergy’s Projects Engineering Team and managed the oversight of all contractors engineering and design activities to fully implement the work required for these large component replacements
- 2011 - FootBridge, Senior Management Consultant. Supported Mitsubishi Nuclear Entergy Systems in their US APWR Cost-Down Initiative Program. Accessed various potential cost reduction proposals and formulated recommendations to better the base project schedule and estimated cost based on a risk and benefit perspective. Provided a Gap Analysis of Entergy Nuclear Project Management Capability and provided specific recommended actions to achieve more desirable performance results for their projects.
- 2010-2011 - TSSD, Senior Management Consultant. Supported URS Business Development objectives. As the senior technical lead, I provide the technical and operational inputs for URS’s independent review of baseline activities associated with the Georges Besse 1 EURODIF Dismantling and Decommissioning Project.
- 2009-2010 - Senior Management Consultant representing Babcock Services at Bruce Power A Unit 1 and 2. I provide overall management of the balance of plant Electrical Power Block critical component replacements and upgrades for Bruce “A” Units 1 and 2 Restart. Provided all direction to Project Management, Engineering and the Direct Work Contractors.
- 2009 - Senior Management Consultant representing NWI at Excel’s Monticello Nuclear Generation Plant (MNGP) performing a Focused Area Assessment (FSA) on the effectiveness of their approach for executing the balance of plant activities for their Extended Power Uprate (EPU) Project.
- 2008-2009 - Florida Power & Light, Turkey Point, Site Project Director.Provided overall management of the FPL Turkey Point Extended Power Uprate Project. Provided all direction to the Site Project team and managed the contracts for major design work related to large contractors such as SWEC, Westinghouse and Bechtel.
- 2005-2008 - Shaw Stone & Webster, Project Director/Senior Consultant. Provided overall management of The Venture services organization that addresses Engineering, Maintenance and Modifications needs of the Peach Bottom Nuclear Site. These services included engineering, and all craft support for outages as well as throughout the year for ongoing plant modifications and maintenance activities.
- 2002 - 2004 - Day & Zimmermann NPS, Site Manager. Provided overall management of a full services organization that addresses Maintenance and Modifications needs of the Davis Besse Nuclear Plant.
- 2001- 2002 - TLG Services Inc., Bridgewater, CT, Project Manager. Managed the Decommissioning Project for GPU’s Saxton Nuclear Experimental Corporation. Directed all project activities associated with the development of engineering concepts, licensing base changes, related cost and budget control, procurement, detailed design, review, selection and award of contracts and management of all contract work forces.
- 2001 - JANUS Management Associates, Glastonbury, CT, Management Consultant. Performed a Management Effectiveness Review for Indian Point Unit 2’s Engineering Deferrable Item Reduction Effort to determine if there was clear success path for continued improvement in this area of importance. This review used the information contained in the Engineering Database, Current Licensing Basis Documentation, and Technical Specifications.
- 2000 - 2001 - Bechtel Corporation, Frederick, MD, Bechtel Task Manager. Managed the Program development with BCP Engineering for the Structural Integrity Test (SIT) and the Integrated Leak Rate Test (ILRT) at Entergy’s Arkansas Nuclear One, Unit 2 as a result of the Replacement Steam Generator Project.
- 1999 - 2000 - Westinghouse, Monroeville, PA, Task Manager. Managed a major Configuration Management Program for Entergy’s Arkansas Nuclear One, Unit 2 Replacement Steam Generator Project with a project staff of 6 professionals.
- 1974-1999 - Northeast Utilities, Hartford, CT.
- Manager of Project Engineering Tasks. Directed all task engineering activities in a matrix environment using a cross-functional project staff of more than 100 professionals. Manage the development of initial system engineering concepts, licensing base changes, detail engineering and design, component selection and procurement, and selection and award of contracts for construction.
- Project Manager of Design Engineering. Managed a major backlog reduction program with a project staff of 35 professionals. Directed all project activities associated with the development of initial system engineering concepts, licensing base changes, related cost and budget control, component procurement, detailed design, review, selection and award of contracts.
- Supervisor of Cost and Schedule Control. Managed the development and implementation of all project estimating, cost control services, construction program budgets and management information systems.
- Manager of Projects. Managed a multi-million dollar annual capital and expense construction program with a staff of project managers. Directed all project activities associated with the development of initial system engineering concepts, licensing base changes, related cost and budget control, component procurement, detailed design-review, selection and award of contracts.
- Project Engineer. Developed multi-discipline design for HVAC additions, water filtration systems, chemical cleaning processes, off-gas treatment systems and major fluid systems enhancements. Technical knowledge included the development of initial system engineering concepts, licensing base changes, detailed engineering, and the method for installation of the design change.
- 1969-1974 - Combustion Engineering, Windsor, CT. Engineering Design Checker. Performed design reviews of engineering products to ensure quality for civil structural design for boiler air handling systems and scrubbers systems.
- 1965-1969 - US Naval Construction, Engineering. Major construction support of Naval Operations in Viet Nam..
Academic Credentials and Qualifications
- B.S., Applied Science & Technology – Charter Oak College, Hartford, CT.
- A.S., Civil Engineering – Hartford State Technical College, Hartford, CT.
- Co-authored and presented several technical reports on the following issues: Retrofit of Full Flow Condensate Polishing Facility, presented at EPRI Corrosion Advisory Committee, Technical paper on Steam Generator Channel Head Decontamination, presented at the ANS Executive, Conference on Decontamination of Power Reactors, Presented and published a report on Nuclear Plant Availability Improvement through a Coordinated Analysis and Testing Program